"REALTOR®" is a registered membership mark and a valuable asset for each member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. To maintain the value of the term REALTOR® it is important that it be used properly and only in ways which identify individuals as members of NAR. To assist members in doing this, NAR has created a set of rules to guide members in the proper use the terms REALTOR® and REALTORS®. These rules are based upon the provisions of NAR's Bylaws, including the following:
ARTICLE V, SECTION 7, BYLAWS, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®
Except as specifically otherwise provided in this Article, use of descriptive words or phrases in connection with the term REALTOR®, REALTORS® or REALTOR-ASSOCIATE® is expressly prohibited.
These rules integrate with the standards established by the Green REsource Council to form the following:
Guidelines to Proper Use of NAR's Green Designation
- The designation should always be used with the name of the member who has obtained the designation whether it is on business cards, promotional material, print or electronic advertising. It should not be used with the name of a real estate business or the name of an individual other than the designee.
- The rules governing the use of the term REALTOR® must also be observed when using NAR's Green Designation. Carefully read and strictly follow the rules on proper use of the REALTOR® marks and logo found at www.REALTOR.org on the "Law and Policy" page under REALTOR® Trademark/Logo Rules, including:
- Descriptive words or phrases, including ones such as "Green," "eco-friendly," or "sustainable" should never be used with the terms REALTOR® or REALTORS®, even if they are separated by a comma or hyphen.
- Examples of incorrect and correct uses under these rules:
With Member Name:
INCORRECT USE –"Jane Doe, GREEN REALTOR®"
CORRECT USE – "Jane Doe, REALTOR®, GREEN"
CORRECT USE – "REALTOR® Jane Doe, GREEN"
With Other Designations:
INCORRECT USE – "John Smith, ABR®, GRI, GREEN, REALTOR®"
CORRECT USE – "John Smith, REALTOR®, GRI, ABR®, GREEN"
CORRECT USE – "John Smith, ABR®, GREEN, GRI, REALTOR®"
In e-mail Addresses and Domain Names:
INCORRECT USES - "greenrealtor.com", or greenrealtorjohnsmith.com, or email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
CORRECT USE – "realtorjanedoe_green.com" or email@example.com, or greenjanedoerealtor.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The logo for NAR's Green Designation should only be reproduced using one of the approved color combinations. The approved combinations reproducing the logo include using: (1) the official green color on a clearly contrasting background, (2) black and white or in a combination using green for the building design and black or gray for the text. The logo may also be reversed out in white on a green background. The logo should not be reproduced using other colors (e.g., blue, red, yellow) except with the advance written approval of the Green Resource Council.
- To avoid blurring or diminishing the distinctive features of the logo for NAR's Green Designation, the logo should not be combined with any other graphic or typographic features.
- Use of NAR's Green Designation or the logo for NAR's Green Designation requires that designee be in good standing, including by remaining a member in good standing of Green REsource Council and the National Association of REALTORS®.
MISUSE OR UNAUTHORIZED USE IS A VIOLATION OF YOUR LOCAL ASSOCIATION'S BYLAWS AND/OR THE CODE OF ETHICS AND CAN SUBJECT YOU TO SANCTIONS.
Additional Membership Information for using NAR's Green Designation
To earn and maintain NAR’s GREEN designation, you must continue your membership with both the Green REsource Council and the National Association of REALTORS®. (Exception: Real estate practitioners whose only office is outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, or Guam do not have to belong to NAR.)
Annual membership renewal for Green REsource Council members is $98.50. This amount will be prorated after the first year.
Any Designation Candidate or NAR Green Designee who allows his/her GREEN membership to lapse for three months after his/her membership expiration date will be subject to a $50 reactivation fee, in addition to the prorated amount for the current year’s membership renewal.
If an NAR Green Designee**fails to renew his/her membership with the Green REsource Council for five years or longer after their membership expiration date, it will result in said Designee having to take/repeat Green Day 1 and Day 2.
** The term “Designee” refers to any person eligible to receive NAR’s Green Designation who has completed all required course work and administrative steps. This member will receive full designation benefits.